Learn to swim in an outdoor swimming pool at Useless Bay Golf & Country Club. South Whidbey Learn to Swim lessons teach aquatic and safety skills in a logical progression. Our objective is to teach children to be safe in and around water, have fun, and learn basic swimming skills. Children can progress through 6 levels of swimming and safety skills. All classes will participate in Safety Day on the last day of each session. Each class will talk about age-appropriate safety skills as it pertains to pools, beaches, and boating. Certificates will be handed out on the last day of each session.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGES DUE TO COVID:
We have worked hard to adapt our lessons to meet the requirements of the state and local health departments. Here are the changes we have made and what to expect.
- Because we will be significantly limited in our lesson capacity in order to facilitate physical distancing, we will limit to one lesson per child, at least for an early initial registration period. The price increase reflects this change.
- You and your child will not be allowed to enter the facility if you are exhibiting a fever of 100.4 or higher; cough; sore throat; chills; loss of taste or smell; muscle or body aches; respiratory illness or difficulty breathing; or headache.
- Masks are required to be worn in the facility at all times except when swimming in the pool. Because kids will not wear masks while in the pool, high risk populations are discouraged from swim lessons until it is safe to do so.
- Swim instructors will wear a mask when on the deck and a face shield in the water.
- Only one parent or guardian, and 1 sibling as necessary, will be allowed to spectate on the deck during the lesson, wearing a mask and 6 foot physically distanced.
- Please arrive and leave the pool in your swim suit. Students must enter through the pool lobby ready to swim and exit still in their swim suits through the back exit door. Please do not change on the pool deck.
- Restrooms will be limited to using the toilets but not changing or showering.
- Lounge chairs will be placed 6 feet apart. Please do not move them. Only one household per chair.
- The instructors will attempt to keep the children physically distanced, but there is always a risk.
- Swim Lessons will follow CDC and Washington State Guidelines for COVID-19 safety
- We reserve the right to make any changes we deem necessary in order to maintain a safe experience for everyone, including the possibility of cancellation.
TENTATIVE DATE OF OPEN REGISTRATION: MAY 11 at 9AM
- NOTE: Because we will be significantly limited in our lesson capacity, we will limit to one lesson per child, at least for an early initial registration period.
- Please register online.
- If applying for a scholarship, do so at least 2 weeks prior to registration opening.
We reserve the right to change levels and times based on enrollment. Classes may be canceled if minimum is not met.
Choose the level most appropriate for your child’s ability by reviewing the Swim Lessons Descriptions and Skills. You must be able to complete all the skills in one level before moving on to the next. The skills listed are the skills each class will work on. Students progress through levels at different speeds depending on several factors including their age, physical coordination and comfort in and around the water. When registering, please keep in mind:
- Level 3 introduces side breathing and often needs to be repeated.
- Level 4, 5 and 6/Pre-swim team are in the deep end.
If your child is registered for a level that is not appropriate for his/her skills, we will make an effort to place that child in the correct class only if there is a vacancy. If there is no vacancy, a refund may be necessary (See refund policy). Do not intentionally register for a level that is not appropriate for your child’s skill level. Classes are filled on a first-come-first-served basis. If your desired level class fills, join the online waitlist. There will be no make-up days due to personal reasons or weather conditions.
- Level 1: Starfish
- Level 2: Jellyfish
- Level 3: Goldfish
- Level 4: Seahorse
- Level 5: Dolphin
- Level 6: Orca/Pre-Swim TEAM
LOCATION: Useless Bay Golf & Country Club outdoor swimming pool.
*Due to COVID-19 safety restrictions and the need to significantly limit enrollment, our fee has increased. Scholarships are available, please apply right away!
SESSION 1: JUNE 21-JULY 1
LEVEL 1-4, 6: Mon-Thu | June 21-July 1 | 9:25-9:55am
LEVEL 1-5: Mon-Thu | June 21-July 1| 10:05-10:35am
LEVEL 1-5, Mon-Thu | June 21-July 1 | 10:45-11:15am
SESSION 2: JULY 5-15
LEVEL 1-4, 6: Mon-Thu | July 5-15 | 9:25-9:55am
LEVEL 1-5: Mon-Thu | July 5-15 | 10:05-10:35am
LEVEL 1-5, PT: Mon-Thu | July 5-15 | 10:45-11:15am
SESSION 3: JULY 19-29
LEVEL 1-4, 6: Mon-Thu | July 19-29 | 9:25-9:55am
LEVEL 1-5: Mon-Thu | July 19-29 | 10:05-10:35am
LEVEL 1-5, PT: Mon-Thu | July 19-29 | 10:45-11:15am
SESSION 4: AUGUST 2-12
LEVEL 1-4, 6: Mon-Thu | Aug 2-12 | 9:25-9:55am
LEVEL 1-5: Mon-Thu | Aug 2-12 | 10:05-10:35am
LEVEL 1-5, PT: Mon-Thu | Aug 2-12 | 10:45-11:15am
Note: Needs-based scholarships are available! Call Carrie at (360)221-6788 for info, and plan on applying at least 2 weeks prior to registration opening.
About Swim Coordinator Kristi Eager
Kristi Eager has been teaching lessons since 1988 and has coached swimming since 1995. She served as the assistant age group coach at Samena Swim Club in Bellevue and assistant coach for the women’s swim team at Eastlake High School. Kristi now coaches the South Whidbey Island Masters and founded the South Whidbey Swim Club. Kristi has a degree in Physical Education, is a Level 3 USA swim coach and Level 2 Masters Swim Coach. She is a member USA swimming, USMS and ASCA. She swims with South Whidbey Island Masters and often competes in pool meets, open water races and triathlons. firstname.lastname@example.org